Monday, June 6, 2011

Teasers to Imitate Sandeels



Last night was the first night in over a month that I did not catch a striper on plastic. When I got to the spot I was fishing, I noticed lots of small sandeels in the water. June and July are big sandeel months. So, I immediately snapped on a teaser rig that had a Deceiver fly attached along with a jointed Red Fin swimmer at the plug end. I didn't kill the fish but I did manage to get two stripers on the teaser and one on the plug.



To set up a teaser rig, make a leader out of heavy mono (suggest 30 lb.. test) that's about 2- 2 1/2 feet long with a snap at one end and a swivel at the other. The teaser (suggest a Deceiver fly- see photo) is knotted onto about 8-10 inches of mono and tied off to the bottom eye of the swivel on your leader. You can take this even further and tie double teaser rigs. Use light colored Deceivers in the daytime and black at night for the most effective rigs.