Thursday, October 14, 2010

Hogys are Hot on Fall Nights


I'm on a roll this week using Hogys. My last 8 stripers and 2 large blues have all been caught on the original 10 inch Black Hogy fished with a #10/0 Hogy swimbait hook. I have always touted their 9-inch Skinny Hogys as my favorite. However, with the rough water and wind that we have been having lately, I have turned to the 10 inch Hogy. This bait weighs in at 1 oz. compared to the nine incher that weighs 3/4 oz. That extra quarter ounce does make a difference in casting into the wind. It also tracks better in rough water.

I might add that the Hogy swimbait hooks have been terrific. That 10/0 hook has an extra long baitholder (screw-type device) which does wonders when it comes to holding the bait in place. This is also a very durable set up. With just one rigged bait, I was able to land a whopping ten fish before I lost it to a blue. With a Texas style hook, I would be lucky to land three fish.