Saturday, April 24, 2010

Providence River Comes Alive



My brother, Steve, and I went out yesterday in the boat to basically test out the new motor that we got from Bass Pro over the winter. Yes, we did take a couple of light rods with and was I glad we did. The Providence River was LOADED with schoolies. The both of us landed close to 80 fish in just a couple of hours! While most were your typical 15-18 inch schoolies, we also had several "big" schoolies that went 22-24 inches. I was using an albino Zoom fluke mounted on a quarter ounce jighead. He was using a Cochahoe on a jighead. Both lures seemed to be equally effective.


Today, I decided to head back to the river in my kayak. There were not as many fish, but the action was still decent as I landed 15 more schoolies on the Zoom fluke. In the two days I was there I saw only one guy fishing from shore and no boaters.


We are in a hot period right now for migrating schoolies as they seem to be spread out all over the state from the far south shore to the far north in Narragansett Bay. It is the hottest spring schoolie fishing I have seen in years.