Thursday, November 5, 2009

Action Shifts to South Shore



Just as I had predicted in the magazine article and in my last post, the striper action has shifted big time onto the RI south shore. My son, Matt, and I went down today. We started off in the Pt. Judith area of Narragansett where the action for schoolies and small keepers has been non-stop for three weeks. Well, today it wasn't happening. My next move was to head to the south shore beaches.


We only had to hit one beach, and it was schoolie heaven! We landed schoolie after schoolie along with a couple of bluefish and shad. Just like in Gansett earlier in the week, there was nothing showing, no bait and no birds yet the bottom was paved with fish. The hot rig today was a double teaser rig with shrimp fly teasers (see some of my earlier posts that outline how to tie shrimp teasers and set up the rig) along with a Cocahoe minnow mounted onto a half ounce jig head (see pic at right) . That set up accounted for multiple doubles and even some triple headers. Matt brought ashore five triple headers (see pic at left). The fish were that thick! In all we landed over 80 schoolies in less than three hours.


So long as the weather cooperates and we get no big storms, I suspect this type of action will continue. November fishing along the south shore is finally heating up!