Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Keepers Arrive


You know things are getting serious when migrating keeper bass are being caught in April. It usually doesn't happen. However, I saw it with my own eyes tonight as I saw at least half a dozen fish taken off the West Wall that were just about keeper size, give or take an inch or two.


The recent heat wave of the last few days has sent water temperatures upwards by about five degrees and that has gotten things moving. There are lots of schoolies right now along the West Wall at East Matunuck and keeper fish up to 30 inches are mixed in with them. Cocachoes and teasers still rule the fishing, but surprisingly I saw a good fish taken on a topwater plug tonight, something that is not supposed to happen in April. I also saw loads of fish breaking the surface last evening after small bait, and that is not supposed to happen in April either.


We are off to a strange start, and those who were complaining last week suddenly have smiles on their faces!