| It's been hot fishing for me this week from my kayak in 'Gansett Bay. Most of the fish have been slots and all were caught on Finesse Fish. They have been around in good numbers. |
It's been almost a week since that big northeaster. The ocean and the fishing have settled down. I've been out the last 7 days in a row. Here is what's going on:
Albies Gone- I'm in touch with a lot of albie fanatics who fish every day for them. NO ONE has seen or landed an albie since the big blow. At least a week with none. Heck, haven't even heard of any from the boats. There are still a few bonito around but that's about it for pelagics. The fanatics are confident the albies are coming back. I'm not so sure.
Striper Bonanza in the Bay- It's been some of the best fall fishing ever in the Bay for me for stripers. They have been around in big numbers chasing down schools of peanut bunker that seem to be holed up in the Bay but not along the oceanfront. I have been getting most of my fish from the kayak. Most of these fish are in the 26 to 35 inch range and slots make up the majority of fish. They have moved around a lot this week, and it's a matter of finding the stripers and the bait. Look for birds working. All my fish have come on a 5.75 inch white Finesse Fish fished weightless and rigged with a BKK 5/0 Titan Rider hook. I wish I could report good fishing along the oceanfront for stripers but it has been generally dead once the northeast winds and ocean calmed down. Most of my sharpie friends have been striking out. Rest assured the stripers and peanut bunker will move out of the Bay eventually.