![]() |
| Here is one of the fish I landed this week in some rough turbulent water. Striper fishing from shore continues to be poor overall. |
I got out twice in the last five days. The first day I was chased out by thunder, lightning and torrential rain. The next evening I found some great water and actually found some fish. What a surprise!
The few times I have found fish this past month have been in rough, clean white water. I had that this week in multiple spots that had produced in the past under these conditions. In one spot I had perfect water. There were no fish to be had but I did see birds working way out. This is the first time in a long time that I saw some bird activity. The second spot had some fish. Of the first three casts I made with a float and jig, I landed 2 hefty schoolies. I also saw birds diving way out in this spot. Hmm, more life. Later, I landed one more schoolie in this location. Hey, three fish in one evening is a big night these days from shore. Finally, I hit my last spot at/ after dark. Great water, a bit weedy and no fish.
So, maybe the fishing is trickling to life. Or maybe I hit something lucky in some rough, turbulent water. We'll see in the next week.
Finally, let me say this has been the worst July I have ever seen for shore fishing for stripers. Yes, even worse than the days of the moratorium. There are also no bluefish or bonito around which makes fishing even worse. I'm still betting on the fishing to come back in late summer or early fall, but that might not happen till mid to late August. Watch for a big influx of massive schools of small bay anchovies. That usually triggers a prefall feed. It also tends to bring in lots of stripers and bonito.
