Sunday, October 2, 2022

Northeast Winds Light up the Fishing

Yes, I did fish in that gale today, and yes, it was very fantastic.  I also fished yesterday in the start of the storm, and it was good also.  In fact, today was one of my best days of fall fishing from shore even though I could barely stand up in the severe wind.

Give me rough water and wind anytime over tranquil conditions. Roughed up water and strong winds seem to charge up the fish into feeding. They will hit with reckless abandon in these white water conditions.  In the last two days it was the bucktail jig fished alone or off an egg float that lured big numbers of stripers top hit.  Once again, it was very good numbers of keepers with half the fish being slots or even above the slot and half the fish being hefty schoolies.

In the latest edition of The Fisherman magazine, I did an article called "Storm Strategies" .  In the article I outlined two keys to finding success in stormy weather.  It involved fishing the right and safe spots as well as using the right lures. One main lure that I highlighted was the bucktail jig as I used today.  As far as spots, I will let you figure that out.

By the way, I was fishing with two guys today who read this blog all the time. The two guys left right before all hell broke loose. You just never know when things will turn on in stormy conditiosn.  There is always some luck involved!

I landed this big fish in today's gale.  I had many fish in this
size range as well as good numbers of schoolies. The float and 
jig as well as lone bucktail jigs have been hot in the northeast
wind.