Saturday, May 8, 2021

Finesse Game from the Kayak

 

The white Finesse Fish fished
weightless did the trick today
on some fussy schoolies.

I went out this afternoon and evening in my Old Town Pedal kayak and found a pile of fish.  But, finding is one thing, catching is another. I started off my outing casting the Rebel Jumpin' Minnow, a hot plug in the early going in the past.  I had follow after follow and whirl after whirl but no takers.  The dead calm conditions did not help. So, I went to my bag of finesse tricks. In the past we have done really well from the boat and kayak with fussy fish using a large Zoom fluke or Lunker City Finesse Fish. I put on a white Finesse Fish on a swimbait hook (note, no weight).  This weightless offering swims in a darting, natural motion with subtle pulls of the rod tip and a slow retrieve. Fussy fish usually will attack it when nothing else works.  It worked to a charm this evening with these fussy schoolies.  I ended up getting good numbers of schoolies in the 16 to 24 inch range, better than what I have been finding from shore all week.  My son, Jon, also fished from the kayak earlier in the day.  He ended up with big numbers of schoolies, but also had three slot limit keepers. So, yes, there are some keeper fish around if you can find them.
The fish today were generally decent sized schoolies
in the 16 to 24 inch range.  My son, Jon, also had some
slot limit keepers earlier in the day. All the fish were
caught from the kayak.