Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Rough Water Turns It On

I went down to the RI oceanfront last evening, the first time in weeks I had fished this area. I knew it would be good because I have seen this pattern play out over and over again in past years. We are in the doldrums of summer and suddenly a big storm comes along.  It can be a north

A hefty schoolie comes ashore last evening on
the float and jig.  It was hot fishing in the rough water!
easter or a tropical storm. Out of nowhere, loads and loads of stripers come ashore with the wind and roughness. And, what’s been a dead shore for months comes to life.  It played out just that way last evening.

When I arrived at my location, I just knew it would be good. The water was white and moving from the roughness and the wind. In ten minutes, I had ten hefty schoolies with my float and jig (Cocahoe or bucktail and curly tail) combinations.  It continued like that on and off for the rest of the evening.  I also saw dark patches of bait, some fish breaking and birds diving.  If you didn’t know the date, you would think this was the middle of October.

If you get out to fish in the coming days, proceed with caution.  There is a fine line between rough and dangerous and just right.  Last evening it was just right!