Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Water Warms Up, Fishing Cools Down

Water temperatures today were running in the mid 70 degree range in Narragansett Bay.  It's a bit cooler at the ocean. This hot weather of the last week has steadily heated up the water.  The result is that the fishing has steadily gone downhill for stripers and blues, especially from shore. In my last three outings I've gotten only two schoolies, way off compared to what I had been getting prior to the warm-up.
Those in boats are faring better these days.  I've heard of some good catches in the Bay in the last week from boats, but recent days have been slow for them also.
Your best bet right now from shore in RI is to fish along deep water dropoffs along the oceanfront where the water is cooler. Best times will be the cooler times of the day....at night or early mornings.
My own strategy to deal with the declining fishing in RI will be to move to greener pastures. It's that time of the year for me to load my bike onto the truck, pack the heavy gear and head north rather than south.