Sunday, February 23, 2020

First Ones from Shore

First one of the year from shore.
Second fish, a bigger one!
While my son, Jon, continues to catch holdover stripers from the kayak, I also got in on the action today from shore.  I landed my first ones of the year.  Based on the place I was fishing these were holdover fish.  I landed two of them right before dark.  Both were taken on light tackle with an albino Zoom fluke fished on a half ounce round head jighead. Both were released in good shape.
Holdover stripers exist in many of coastal rivers and ponds along the oceanfront and in Narragansett Bay. It's a matter of looking and trying to find them.  Your best shot at catching a holdover at this time of year is on a warm day and fishing the warmest part of the day....late afternoon into evening, just as I did today.