Thursday, April 13, 2017

Some

My first schoolie of the new year was landed today along
the oceanfront.  There has been a trickle of migrating fish all week.
Things should improve with the warming water.
The good news is that the migrating fish have arrived along the RI oceanfront. The bad news is that there are not many of them. But, the way I see it, some are better than none.
I landed my first ones along the south shore today as I got 4 schoolies in a 2 1/2 hour period.  I saw about 8 other fish caught by a picket fence of about 25 fishermen, all itching to get their first ones of the year.  Since Monday it has been a trickle of migrating fish in the cold, 45 degree water.
I got all my fish on a four inch Cocahoe minnow mounted on a half ounce jighead.  The fish ranged from 12-16 inches.  However, the most exciting thing that happened to me today was what I saw and not what I caught.  While standing on a rock, I looked down in the water and saw a keeper striper of about 28 inches swim right by me.  It wasn't interested in hitting, but was a sign of things to come.  Yes, some larger ones are around, and it won't be long (another week or so) until the first small keepers are caught. Before that happens, the water has to heat up a bit, and with the warming water will come hotter fishing for schoolies and small keepers.
A new year has begun.