Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Welcome to RI Striped Bass


I am creating this blog about RI striped bass fishing in order to share my experiences with other fishermen about fishing for this magnificent fish here in RI. I fish year round for stripers and get out roughly 300 times a year. I've been doing it at this pace for the last 40 years. That's a lot of time on the water!

I fish all kinds of ways although surf fishing is my passion. I also fish a lot from my brother's 18 foot bass boat and from my 13 ft. Ocean custom kayak that I outfitted. I try to cover the entire state as I fish a lot in the urban sections of the upper Bay, along the mid sections of the Bay, along the rocky oceanfront and along the sandy south shore beaches.

I also fish a variety of methods. I especially like to fish with artificials and plugs that I make myself. However, I will also fish live menhaden and live eels as well as chunk baits and other bottom baits.

I will admit that I also fish for bluefish, fluke, false albacore, white perch, tautog, etc. If it's biting, I'll fish for it.

Finally, I am writing this blog in celebration of a milestone for me in striped bass fishing. This should be the year that I land my 50,000 th striped bass. I have kept extensive logs of my fishing and expect to catch this milestone fish sometime in the fall!